Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Guest Blogger: Savannah Chase

In The Eye Of The Beholder

So I finally discovered I can take over another blog...Yup I have taken over the Morgan Diaries for the next week. Woohooo...How fun!

I guess you want to know what on earth I'm going to blog about today, eh? Well, since I'm an author, and love to bring worlds and characters to life, I wanted to touch on a subject of beauty.



Not just any beauty, but character beauty. As a writer I try to create characters who are beautiful inside and out. They are not always perfect, but that's what makes them beautiful.

In today's society beauty has been defined by the outer appearance of a person. Everything about them has to be perfect and spotless. Magazines alter images to the point where sometimes the cover person is no longer recognizable. It's a way to say this person is not pretty enough to grace the cover the way they are.

I have seen that reflected in some books. Characters look a certain way that's very far from what is attainable. Far from someone the reader can fall in love with, someone they can cheer for to succeed.

Authors are choosing to make their heroes and heroines, if I may say, defective. They have scars on the inside and out. They are no longer the picture perfect beauty.

I have heard from a lot of readers that this is something they like to see. They are tired of reading about the skinny, perfect face, perfect hair, ultra hot characters. Characters who are real are the ones they fall in love with. Ones they can relate to. Ones they might see themselves being.

I know books are supposed to be something we can read to get away from reality, escape for the duration of a length. But I also know people get tired of reading stuff they can't relate to. Readers get enough so called perfection in everyday life via TV or magazines that they want something different. They want variety.

People have their own version of what makes a person beautiful, it's all in the eye of the beholder. That's what I think is fantastic. We all see beauty in our own way.

As a reader, I love to see characters that are not "perfect". That's what makes me fall in love with them even more.

So I ask you guys, what do you like to read about? Do you want the characters in books to be that so called "perfect beauty" or do you want real beauty?

Savannah

Satisfy Your Desire......Indulge The Temptation
http://www.savannahchase.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/savannahchase/

2 comments:

P. Robinson said...

I believe that all people have a bit of beauty in them. Some more than others and I'm talking personalities here. I love a person who is honest and can make me laugh.

Kissa

Savannah Chase said...

oh yes I agree, we all have something that make us special and unique...That's what is beauty.....