Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A different take on Soul Mates

There are times that make you think and times that make you act. This week has been a little of both, heavy on the thinking. I know that the term soul mate is bantered around a lot. But I’m not sure if it means what we think it means. I’ve been lucky in my life to have found both a soul mate and a heart mate rolled up in the same person. My wife completes me on so many levels that I couldn’t think of anyone I’d rather spend my life with.

But, she is not the only person I consider my soul mate. In life we run across people we automatically click with. From that first syllable we know this person will be a part of our lives. Over my 39 some odd years—and they have been odd—I’ve been lucky enough to meet a few people who fall into this category. I don’t think it’s wrong to say they are my soul mates, because they complete a part of me simply by being in my life. It’s like my soul knows a kindred spirit and gravitates toward it. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had this feeling.

As we grow older, we accumulate friends, acquaintances and ships that pass in the night. But, a soul mate remains with you even if years go by without you seeing them. These past couple of days have given me a lot of thoughts on this subject. I’ve had a discussion with one of my soul mates on this subject some time ago.

Friends easily slip into acquaintances. In high school you spend everyday with someone, cry with them, laugh with them and share moments that mark you for life, yet twenty years later, you can pass them on the street and say do you remember when before fading back into your life without a second thought. Some days I can’t remember the names of half the people I hung around with in those days, and no it isn’t because I’m old. It’s just time has a way of making you move on, grow up or whatever label you want to toss on it.

In the same breath, soul mates are closer than the family you were born into. They understand you better than family ever could. They accept you for who you are, not what you are expected to be. With a soul mate you aren’t forced to be a son, daughter, big brother/sister or younger brother/sister or even a crazy cousin. You are you, with all your faults, weirdness, happiness and sadness. Soul mates don’t judge you against a preconceived notion of how you should fit into their world. You just do.

Where am I going with this? Hell if I know. If you want a moral to this, then I guess the only one I can come up with is this.

Value the people in your life. Let them know how you feel and NEVER let a chance go by to make an impact in their lives, like they’ve made in yours. And by all you hold dear, cherish them because family you’re stuck with. Soul mates are a blessing you rarely get in life.

2 comments:

Jenna Leigh said...

I know who you're talking about and here's hoping she's got plenty of strength of soul to see her through this trying time.

PS: I love you too, sweetie.

Kelley said...

I have the same feeling about soul mates. Everyone mixes up soul and heart mates I think, just like you said. I've been fortunate to find a few soul mates who we've gone several years without talking for some reason or anotehr but when we do talk again, it's like no time ever passed and they know me better than even I know myself sometimes.