Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Interview with Melissa Lopez


After a long delay, The Morgan Diaries is proud to present our first interview of 2008. If computers will stop crashing and Captain Trips will leave us alone, we promise it will be the first of many. So, who do we have on tap for you?

None other than noted author Melissa Lopez. Melissa is a multi-published author with Ellora’s Cave, and Samhain Publishing. Her books run the gambit of genres from hot paranormals to sizzling contemporaries. We were pleased to get the chance to sit down with this author who has overcame so much to become one of the bright stars in the Epublishing world.

TMD: Melissa thanks for joining us today.

ML: Hey, thank you both so much for having me.

TMD: Can you tell us a little about your new release Boomerang Love?

ML: Oh yes, I’m so excited to have Boomerang Love alive for others. Boomerang Love is a contemporary romance set in one of the most exotic places in the world. Australia.
http://melissa-lopez.com/book_boomeranglove.html This link will take you to a blurb, excerpt and trailer.

TMD: What inspired you to write a book in the Land Down Under? Can you? Can you hear the thunder? Shut Jmo! I thought you promised no singing if I bought you that 80s Super Hits CD.

ML: LOL I recognize the music. Ever since watching "Crocodile Dundee” an Australian comedy set in the Australian Outback I’ve been fascinated by the country.

The actual concept inspiration for Boomerang Love sprang from the relationship of my youngest son’s favorite hero and his wife. Steve and Terri Irwin.

One day I listened as the couple shared their “love at first sight” tale. The couple married within a few short months of meeting one another.

Almost immediately my muse asked me…what if a heroine left, instead of staying? Would she return? Did she dare? What about the hero? Would he be able to work her out of his system? The plot to Boomerang Love fell into place as I drafted a short premise up.

TMD: As with a lot of writers, we just can’t get to all the places we’d love to write about. Though JMo has considered UPSing himself to a few. How do you prepare to write a book where the setting is someplace you’ve never been?

ML: Oh, I do as much research as I can. This always includes a stop at the library. I read. I watch specials on locations. Magazines. I watch movies. I make live contacts with people in the know. Do web searches. And so much more…

TMD: If you had to pick which movie set in Australia is your Favorite? We’re taking Quigley Down Under, so you can’t have it. Morgan O has dibs on Alan Rickman and Jmo has stalking privileges on Laura San Giacomo.

ML: What was the movie Tom Selleck starred in? I loved that movie.

TMD: You’ve written across genres a lot in your career. To you, which is the easiest for you to write? Or more fun to write?

ML: I wouldn’t say one genre is easier to write than another. Or one more fun to write over the other. My muse is always fluttering about. I genuinely enjoy writing all my genres.

TMD: Being the hard hitting investigative reporters we are, we took a peek around your website. Hope you don’t mind, but Morgan O is nosey. After seeing the page for Netherworld: Dark Sentinel, the Morgans must say we are quite excited by what we saw. It’s a bit early, but could you tell our readers a little about this fantastic looking title?

ML: Thank you! I’m glad you’re excited. I sure am! Netherworld is a parallel world about the after life. Netherworld is a very dark edgy series. Personally, I feel its urban fantasy. Demons. Hunters. Ghosts. But in each story I provide a new HEA so it’s considered dark paranormal.
I’m creating a series site to hopefully grow as the series does.
www.nether-world.net The site goes live in early March before Dark Sentinel’s release.
Right now, you can visit the Dark Prince on MySpace at
http://melissa-lopez.com/book_boomeranglove.html

TMD: When you first start writing, who comes into your head first, the hero or the heroine? And which do you find yourself growing closer to as the book develops?

ML: 95% of the time the hero appears first. And in general I tend to write heavy male POV.

TMD: As a writer, what is the hardest part of writing? The characters, the plot or that last push to bring it all together. Jmo believes it to be the wait for hearing back on a submission.

ML: All the waiting we have to do can be trying. We wait for everything. Edits. Covers. Reviews. To hear from readers on their opinions. And Jmo is right. Waiting on submissions can be especially difficult.

TMD: Time for our probing question of the interview. Don’t hide your eyes Ms. Lopez. You had to know it was coming. If you could eat chocolate covered strawberries and whip cream off any HAWT Australian male, who would it have to be? Remember Alan Rickman is already taken and Morgan O has a gat strapped to her inside leg if you get any funny ideas.

ML: Russell Crowe. *Blush* I have a thing for the bad boys.

TMD: Before you go, please let our readers know about all the fantastic things they have to look forward to from the mind of Melissa Lopez and her many split personalities? And where they can get up date news about you?

ML: Right now, I’ve got Riptide Love and True Blue Love lined up for my Thorns. And I’ve got four more stories plotted out for my Netherworld series. I’ve also got a big project with my agent that she’s shopping around.

My co-authorships are busy as well. Melany Logen is celebrating the release of Ingram’s Charm. She’s also got an up coming March release called Bold Bride. And under Marissa Alwin Heart on His Sleeve our 07 Valentine’s release will be released in print. The Candy Cravings anthology will be released this Valentine’s Day.

Please stop my website and check things out. I love visitors! Thanks again for having me!
Melissa Lopez
http://melissa-lopez.com/
JOURNEYS OF LOVE every woman needs to take.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a fun interview to read, thanks!

The correct link for Netherworld/Dark Prince's MySpace is http://www.myspace.com/netherworldseries

Anonymous said...

Woohooo Mel, you survived a bout with the M and M's! That's no easy feat LOL! Loved the interview and I'm looking forward to the Netherworld series.

Melissa Lopez said...

Thank you Paula. :)

Thanks, Jenn. I enjoyed the interview! The M&Ms rock!
~Mel

Morgan O'Reilly said...

Hmm,now what kind of rock would that be?? Granite, diamond, metal, or chair? LOL. Sorry was having a discussion with DH about one of his co-workers who bought his wife a set of pots and pans for VD. Really nice ones, over $1k worth, that she'd been wanting. Silly man. I told him, jewelry works ALWAYS. Think sparkly!

Glad you had fun Melissa. Writing up those questions is always a fun journey into the inner workings of Jmo's mind. I never know where he's headed until we get there...

MorganO

Anonymous said...

When we talk about data conversion india has been a great place
to get those jobs done at a cheaper price.